Friday, December 2, 2016

Gifts I want on your Birthday, Baba!

Yes, You heard me right! The ever-demanding me wants gifts from you, on your birthday 😁


1.   You Waiting for me Happily at home - My favorite time was you returning home after your shift in the factory or after several days from your official and non-official trips or may be after months of staying out of town… I used to run downstairs from our tiny little workers’ quarter at the 2nd floor (American friends please read it 3rd floor) to greet you! It took me several years to reach the height when I could unlatch the door (as the locks where located on the top of the door) on my own. But me being myself, always so demanding and always so ready to give you all the stories that happened at home in your absence didn’t even mind troubling others. Did you know, one such day upon hearing the sound of your motorbike (our Rajdoot), I ran to Didibhai and asked her to open the door. Probably that was a very bad day for her and I nagged her too much. She gave me a nice tight slap before she realized that I would even tell you about what just happened. Before I could open my mouth and scream, I realized she started massaging my cheek with moisturizer only with the hope that her fingerprints will fade away before you enter the home. I was shocked! No, not because I was slapped for the first time (And the very last time!) but because I saw she started crying before I could understand what just happened to me. Baba, by the time you entered home that night after talking to few people who were waiting for you at the gate to solve their problems, I forgot all about the slap that I just got minutes before. Because I used to wait for that particular moment when I could share all the “happening things” that happened during the day including me failing exams in my nursery classes 😜

I believe the time is now perfect when I can expect you to give me few months of your life to wait for me at home, all happy and excited to share your day with me. I want you to forget everything bad that happened during the day and feel equally excited when I come home as if you were just waiting for me the way I used to…. Will you please, Baba?

2.   You going with me for drive- Amongst your three daughters, no one can have a doubt that I rode the motorbike the most with you. Much more than anyone else. I enjoyed it so much that one of the persistent fears I had was growing up! I used to fear what if I grow up and you become elderly and unable to ride a bike anymore! When everyone was complaining about your reckless driving, I was the only one who would vouch for it! My Baba bestest! J And, you of all people knew I faced the most accidents while riding in your bike. So many times, you and I lied to Ma…. Those were our little secrets, our world. Now, I want you to give me some time so that I can take you for drive through new roads, new places, face some adventures and make some new memories. Can you please give me that time to make new memories with you while the roads pass by us again and we sing “ei poth Jodi na sesh hoy…”?

3.   Writing about your experiences- Yes, you asked me to write about my experience when you took me on an over-night journey with a sick patient in an ambulance. Ma was so angry with you for doing that. She said, I would be an utter failure in my life and you would be responsible for all of that! And remember that time, when we were waiting for the dawn to break before crossing the infamous forest, which was not recommended to cross at night on the way to Jamshedpur? You decided do it anyway. Most of the time I did not even understand the reasons behind those sudden overnight trips I made with you but now I think, I just used all opportunities that let me spend few more extra hours with you: traveling, learning, listening to you! Now, I want you to write your experiences from all these years dealing with so many people and so many places.

The other day I overheard somebody narrating a story from his experience that changed his perception for lifetime towards a ‘different’ community. Unfortunately he got into a trouble on the road with a person who happened to be from a different community and the small trouble on the street took a communal color eventually. After that incident he can’t trust people from that particular community and find solace in his ‘own’ community. It left me thinking about various incidences that I experienced when I was young. One such was you disciplining all guys in the locality equally who showed tendency towards choosing not the right path. Faces of Rajib da and Altaf da flashed in front of me. How you cared for both! How you thought both should become the best they could become!

The young and fairytale loving me had no clue of what’s the meaning of ‘Altaf’. I used to think they are band of troublemakers who wear ‘Alta’ (The red dye women apply on feet during weddings or festivals) on their feet like bandits of old Bengali stories. I used to call their gang ‘Alta Pora Chele’ (Guys with Alta on their feet) and it became a standard joke in our home those days! I do not remember a single incidence where anyone could accuse you of treating any of them differently, owing to difference in religion/age/gender/political affiliation etc. I rather remember their guardians coming to you to take your advice on disciplining them better. How did you do that Baba? I believe, in this troubled times when all of us are becoming more and more self-centered with every passing year, we need to hear more from people like you who thought differently, treated equally and fought for others rights fearlessly. Can you start writing please?


Will you gift me these? Will you make my life more special with your time and your writing? Will you help me to make more memories to cherish and leave our legacy for the generations to come? Happy Birthday, Baba! You are the most special person in our lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment